For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, July 9, 2011

The Flowers Appear

Song of Solomon 2:11-12

See! The winter is past; 
   the rains are over and gone. 
Flowers appear on the earth; 
   the season of singing has come, 
the cooing of doves 
   is heard in our land. 

In the summer as I drive along the country roads, I watch for God’s ditch flowers. In Ohio, the ditches fill with bright orange lilies that trumpet their beauty. Queen Anne’s lace graces the roadside standing with royal elegance, and the soft blue chicory waves to me inviting me to take a mental snapshot. I cannot forget my favorite flower, the black-eyed Susan that dots the slopes with happy smiles.

God created an amazing natural world for us to enjoy. I have come to believe that the beauty of nature is God’s gift to us to counter-balance the ugliness of life. No matter how much I mess up or how much sad news I see, I can still appreciate and enjoy the Rose of Sharon blooms in my backyard, the soft swoosh of the willow tree that Tim planted for me and the sweet welcome home from my dogs. Sometimes I think of them as the simple things of life, but the truth is they are complex, amazing creations that remind me how much God loves me. I praise God for his beautiful gifts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment