For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Celebrate Easter

Luke 9:47-48
Jesus, knowing their thoughts, took a little child and had him stand beside him.
 Then he said to them, “Whoever welcomes this little child in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. For it is the one who is least among you all who is the greatest.”

My daughter Sara invited me to attend the Easter program she was directing at her church. Dylan, my five-year-old granddaughter had her first speaking part ever, and I was excited for her. When I arrived at the church, I sat down with Maggie, Zeke and Eli ready to be entertained by an enthusiastic group of children. With microphones in place, they stood before the crowd anxious to begin. From the very first note to the praises at the end, those young hearts glorified Jesus as they told the story of his crucifixion and resurrection with a sincerity that only a child could have.

About midway through the program, Dylan spoke her well practiced line, “It’s amazing to think what Jesus did, just for us.” From the heart of a child, the truth that sets us free flowed with joy. As the children continued to raise their voices and sing about Jesus, I sat humbled and grateful to be in the presence of the one who died for me. Celebrate Easter this year with the sincere heart of a child, praising Jesus for his great gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment