For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Love Him

Luke 2:4-7


So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David. He went there to register with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child. While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no guest room available for them.

Each year I display the nativity (defined by Merriam Webster as the circumstances of birth, particularly Jesus’) that I inherited from my Grammy. It has three pieces, Mary, Joseph and Jesus all in an antique white. I love its simplicity. One of my daughter’s has a lovely Willow Tree set with many pieces. I like that the shepherd’s and angel surround the holy family. Artists have rendered the nativity as everything from rugged to glitzy with some bling.

Last year, Maggie gave me the Fisher Price Nativity set, and I think it is my favorite. I don’t display it on a shelf as an untouchable piece of art. Instead, the characters sit on the floor where our grandchildren can interact with them. Isn’t that how it should be with Jesus? When he lived on earth as a human, he didn’t want to be on a throne. He walked among the people, all the people. He created relationships with his disciples. He loved the unlovable. He doesn’t want to sit on my shelf, he wants me to connect with him, befriend him, and love him. Praise God for Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment