For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Seek to Serve

John 13:6-10, 15

6He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, "Lord, are you going to wash my feet?"
7Jesus replied, "You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand."
8"No," said Peter, "you shall never wash my feet." Jesus answered, "Unless I wash you, you have no part with me." 9"Then, Lord," Simon Peter replied, "not just my feet but my hands and my head as well!"
10Jesus answered, "A person who has had a bath needs only to wash his feet; his whole body is clean.... 15 I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you.

When New Testament folks traveled to their neighbors for dinner they bathed before they left home and maybe spritzed a little eucalyptus water behind their ears. When they stepped out on their journey, dust and dirt from the beaten paths swirled up and landed on their feet. On their arrival, a servant or the host knelt and washed the dust from their feet. What a humbling experience.

Jesus was not above washing his disciples feet, even though Peter objected. Service and humbleness often walk hand-in-hand. Seek to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment