For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Listen

Psalm 46: 10-11 10
"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth."
11 The LORD Almighty is with us;the God of Jacob is our fortress. Selah

I don’t know if it is just me, but it seems like noise abounds everywhere. The other day I sat and waited in a doctor’s office (with people who feel ill, have headaches, -you get the idea) and not one, but two televisions blasted from the wall. At work the noise of machines drones all day. In our lunch area we can barely hear each other talk with the AVAC system running.
With all this noise, how can I hear God. Finding a place to be still and listen is a challenge.

Yesterday evening Tim and I drove to the local lake to walk our dog. Aside from a few cars driving down a nearby road, the quiet echoed. We could hear the birds singing, the fish popping to the surface and the stillness of God’s nature. In a world of noise, find a quiet place to listen. Maybe on your porch, in the woods, in your living room with all the electronics turned off. God wants to talk to you, be still and listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment