For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, July 2, 2016

Gifts from the Master

2 Chronicles 2:13-14
“I am sending you a master craftsman named Huram-abi, who is extremely talented.  His mother is from the tribe of Dan in Israel, and his father is from Tyre. He is skillful at making things from gold, silver, bronze, and iron, and he also works with stone and wood. He can work with purple, blue, and scarlet cloth and fine linen. He is also an engraver and can follow any design given to him. He will work with your craftsmen and those appointed by my lord David, your father."

Throughout my life I've tried my hand at several different crafts. I've enjoyed most of them but none as much as embroidery. It broke my heart when arthritis started dominating my hands. Mostly the base of my thumbs. So I gave it up for awhile. In the interim I had a co-worker ask me about the how-tos. She wanted to learn a few stitches. I loaned her my books and gave her a few pointers. She did a great job, but as I looked at her work and that of others, I realized how much I missed running the floss through fabric to create beauty.

Long story short, I went to a hand doctor and got a cortisone shot that allows temporary relief so I can hand sew, again. When I showed my coworker the embroidery I'd been working on she gave me the best compliment. She called me a master of the craft. The truth is, the Master of life gave me the ability to stitch beauty out of thread and fabric. When we're born, God instills in us the talents we use throughout life. I'm thankful I've had the opportunity to develop my craft or master it, so to speak.

God has given each person gifts and abilities to use to serve others and Him. I appreciate the talents God has given me, in hand crafts and other areas of my life. I encourage you to take some time and discover your strengths. Explore your gifts and develop your passion. God created you as a unique soul with a purpose. Praise God for giving everyone different abilities and skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment