For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Friday, September 13, 2013

I Brought You Into This World

1 Timothy 6:6-8
But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that.

In an early episode of the Cosby Show, Cliff Huxtable (Bill Cosby) talks with his son, Theo, about the value of education and why he should work harder at getting better grades. After much discussion that includes a lesson with Monopoly money, Theo still isn’t convinced that he needs to follow his dad’s guidance. That’s when Cliff pulls his dad card and says, “I brought you in this world and I’ll take you out.” In other words, you need to listen to me.


In 1 Timothy, Paul warns the young minister about greed. He reminds him that he came into the world without one earthly thing, and he sure couldn’t take anything with him when he died. This is a truth that’s repeated often throughout the Bible. Be content, God cares for the flowers and birds. Don’t build an earthly kingdom, things on earth corrode and rust. Instead, trust God. Not as easy as it sounds, but certainly the best advice I can follow. God provides. It’s as simple as that. Do I sit around and wait for my food and clothes to magically appear? No, I need to work and pay for them. He gives me the opportunities and the means. God is good all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment