For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Control the Dust Bunnies

John 14:1-4
Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God ; believe also in me. My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.  You know the way to the place where I am going.

I have a confession. I’m not the best housekeeper. I keep the basics up, but sometimes the bigger jobs take a backseat to my creative efforts. We’re having a birthday celebration for some of our children, so I needed to pay special attention to the house. Sorry to say, I had to take a vacation day to get it all done. But, even as I worked to spiff things up, it felt good to take control of the dust bunnies again.

As I worked, a scripture popped into my mind. In John 14:1, Jesus is talking to his disciples. He’s preparing to leave them and wants them to understand that he’s going to be with God and that he’s going to spend his time getting the place ready for them to join him. Of course, He’s talking about heaven. I love that he assures them that He’s not only putting their new home in order, He’s going to come back and get them. This promise is for us, too. Jesus will return and take his saints to the beautiful home He’s designed. What joy and hope fills my soul when I think about the day I’ll be with Jesus in heaven. As much as I enjoy life with my family and friends, I know a better place waits for those who believe. Praise God for his gift of heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment