For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, May 4, 2013

No Matter How Fancy, It's Still McDonald's


2 Timothy 2:14-16
Keep reminding God’s people of these things. Warn them before God against quarreling about words; it is of no value, and only ruins those who listen. Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth. Avoid godless chatter, because those who indulge in it will become more and more ungodly.

In Asheville, North Carolina, across from the famous and fancy Biltmore, stands a McDonald’s. The signs at the entrance and exit wear the golden arches. And I do mean golden. They are painted with gold gilt. Quite impressive to the person used to the larger than life, plastic, lighted ones that shine from the highway. Inside a baby grand sits in one corner, playing tunes to sooth the weary traveler. A fireplace graces a cozy eating area and a small fountain in the shape of a coffee cup hangs from the wall. Impressive, different, but does it make the food any different? Nope. It’s still McDonald’s. The same menu, the same sweet tea, the same yummy fries. A fun eating experience, but no matter how they might try to dress up the eatery, it’s still the same.

For years, people have tried to gussy up the jacket of the Bible, binding it in leather or gilding the page edges with gold. I’ve owned an orange one, one with flowers on the front, a white one with gold lettering, and a few others. No matter what the cover looks like, the Word of God remains the same. The accounts that the writers penned came from God. The Old Testament overflows with stories of His people. The New Testament witnesses Jesus sacrifice for sin. Timothy reminds me to handle the scripture correctly. As I read, I ask God to give me wisdom and understanding through the Holy Spirit. I love and trust God’s Word, no matter what wrapper it comes in. 

What's you favorite story or scripture?

2 comments:

  1. What? No pictures of this fancy McDonald's? :) I get a mental image, but that's not the same.

    As for my favorite scripture, I have a few, but these top the list:

    Come unto me all who are weary and heavy-burdened, and I will give you rest. (Matthew 11:28)

    They that wait upon the Lord will renew their strength. They will mount up with wings as eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint. (Isaiah 40:31)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry. I took a few, but they weren't very good. Thanks for sharing your verses. I remember a plaque on my mom's kitchen wall that had Matt. 11:28 on it. It comes to mind often.

    ReplyDelete