For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Faith in the Storm

Matthew 8:23-26(NIV)
Then he got into the boat and his disciples followed him.  Suddenly a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. The disciples went and woke him, saying, “Lord, save us! We’re going to drown!”
He replied, “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?” Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.

Much of Ohio’s spring has consisted of storms. Every time a thunderstorm approaches the area, our dog, Tater, whines, walks in circles and tries to get on my lap. He weighs almost ninety pounds, so he doesn’t stay for long. On the other hand, our corgi-dachshund could care less about a little thunder and lightning. If she doesn’t get a biscuit out of the situation, she’s not interested. For Tater, Tim and I are his shelter. His calm from the storm.

Photo by Jean Guichard
Sometimes instead of seeking refuge, we need to stand in the storm and trust God. I have a picture hanging in my living room that depicts a lighthouse in a storm. The lighthouse keeper, waiting for help, stood at the door. He’s not hiding. He’s riding out the storm until he can be rescued. I believe that God is my refuge, but I also believe that there are times that he wants me to stand in the rain and let the storm rage, while I hold on to my faith. Of the disciples, several were fisherman. They understood the dangers of a raging sea. When the waves crashed they headed for shelter. But Jesus wanted them to stop running from the storms of life. He tested their faith, much like he tests ours. It’s not easy to trust when so much hurt and heartache surrounds the world. Jesus calls me to have faith in him and his word. It’s up to me to believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment