For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Sand Beads


Genesis 22:17-18
I will surely bless you
 and make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as the sand on the seashore. Your descendants will take possession of the cities of their enemies, and through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed, because you have obeyed me.

Hebrews 11:12
And so from this one man, and he as good as dead,
came descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as countless as the sand on the seashore.

I love the beach. When I’ve had the opportunity to stand with my feet in the sand, and watch the water ebb and flow, I ponder the unfathomable power of God. As the water reminds me of God’s sovereignty, the warm grains that I stand on remind me that he keeps his promises. When my daughter traveled to Israel in the spring, she gathered sand from the Dead Sea. Back home, she took the grains to a lamp worker. The artist fashioned the sand into glass using a torch and created eye-catching beads. Hannah gifted me with three of the glass beauties for Christmas.

In Genesis, because of Abraham’s faith, God told him that his descendants would number as many as the stars and the sand. I wonder if Abraham laughed since he and Sarah were senior citizens. But, God kept his promise. As the Old Testament tells us, the nations grew.

As I wear my sand beads, I praise God for his faithfulness. He keeps his promises and loves his children.





I don’t usually do commercials on this blog, but I’d like to give a shout out to the artist. To see Glennie Sims' work go to: http://calmwaterstudio.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment