For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Friday, December 14, 2012

Meteors and Angels


Luke 2:13-16
Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, “Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.”
When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, “Let’s go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about.” So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby, who was lying in the manger.

This time of year I enjoy the fresh, crisp air in the early morning and the stars in the dark night sky. When I heard that the December Geminid meteor shower would be visible, I wanted to see the flash of light for myself. As Tim and I walked the dogs, I stood on the sidewalk in the park and watched the sky.  Within minutes I caught sight of a meteor as it streaked across the night. 
The tail followed and faded into the dark. Before I went into the house, I saw a second one. I stood amazed at God’s creation.

As excited as I was to see the radiant glow streak across the sky, I can’t imagine how the shepherds felt when the angels flew before them and sang out about Jesus’ birth. There they stood in the middle of a field, minding their business, mingling with the sheep, when a heavenly host of angels shined before them. Not only did they see angels, they traveled to the stable to see the Prince of Peace. Jesus. They must have stood in awe. I want to capture that amazement and adoration as I think about the birth of my savior. The meteor was exciting but Jesus is eternal. Praise God for the gift of his son.

No comments:

Post a Comment