For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Friday, December 21, 2012

Merry Christmas!

“While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no guest room available for them.” Luke 2:6-7 NIV

One of my favorite Christmas decorations from childhood sits on my bookshelf. I remember this particular piece of memorabilia being one that I was allowed to pick up and look at. The hard brittle plastic that was formed into a nativity scene features baby Jesus, Mary and Joseph. The roof, adorned with glitter, holds a star and an angel. A few animals stand near the manger, along with the wise men (who actually visited a few years later) and a pine tree. To me this symbol of Christmas represents “the reason for the season.”

My quest for Christmas begins in October, when I prepare lists of what I hope to accomplish. I can barely wait for Thanksgiving weekend, when we put up the tree. The ornaments hold so many memories. The lights and decorations bring a joy to my heart that only comes at Christmas. But as much as I enjoy the fun festivities, the holiday will not be complete until Tim and I worship in church this Sunday, and celebrate the birth of our Savior. Whether Jesus' real birth date is December 25 or some date in the spring, I’m thankful that we designate a day to praise him and celebrate his life.

May God bless you with peace and joy this Christmas season.

2 comments:

  1. And may God bless you as well this Christmas and throughout 2013, Penny! Thanks for sharing a Christmas memory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Patti. Have a blessed Christmas.

    ReplyDelete