For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, September 8, 2012

That Precious Word


Psalm 33: 4-9
For the word of the
 Lord is right and true;
    he is faithful in all he does.
The Lord loves righteousness and justice;
    the earth is full of his unfailing love.
By the word of the Lord the heavens were made,
    their starry host by the breath of his mouth.
He gathers the waters of the sea into jars;
    he puts the deep into storehouses.
Let all the earth fear the Lord;
    let all the people of the world revere him.
For he spoke, and it came to be;
    he commanded, and it stood firm.

Over the last two-and-a-half years, I’ve enjoyed listening to the speech development of our three grandsons, Max, Eli and Zeke. Because they were born a few months apart and live in different households, each one has his own vocabulary and expression. I love that they verbalize in their own style. Sometimes they speak in a whisper, other times in a wail. Most of the time, they grab my attention first and make sure I’m listening. Their words are precious to me.

As sweet as the words of my grandchildren sound, God’s word echoes joy, hope, and life. His word carries power and gives being to an otherwise empty world. When I walk outside, I am amazed at the beauty his word created. John 1:1 says that the Word was with God and that Word is Jesus. He not only spoke the world into being, he brought the hope of heaven to earth. God’s word moves mountains and calms storms, he comforts the broken and rejoices with the blessed. I thank God for Jesus and the hope he brings to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment