For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Watch Out for Will-o'-the-wisp



Acts 2:38
Peter replied, “Repent and be baptized,
every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Galatians 5:25
Since we live by the Spirit,
 let us keep in step with the Spirit. 

“Girls day out!” my granddaughter declared as my daughters, my granddaughter and I spent the afternoon watching the movie Brave. Without spoiling the plot for anyone, I’ll just say that the young Scottish princess, Merida, determined to change her destiny, initially follows the will-o’-the-wisps (ghostly lights that lead travelers off their path) right into trouble.

As I watched the story unfold I couldn’t help but think about those will-o’-the-wisps. As a follower of Christ, he has a purpose for my life and a path set before me. If I listen to the Holy Spirit and seek his guidance, I stay in step with him and follow God’s plan for me. If I become distracted by will-o’-the-wisps, A.K.A. the devil, I veer off into trouble and chaos. When I accepted Jesus as my savior and followed him in baptism, he gave me the gift of his Holy Spirit, my guide for life. I choose to follow him.

No comments:

Post a Comment