For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Friday, July 13, 2012

Sunshine and Shadow


James 1:17
Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights,
 who does not change like shifting shadows. 

In the spring, I planted zinnia seeds like the ones I remembered from my childhood. With rain and sun green sprouts shot up and over time displayed a riot of color.  One morning when I left for work, I took a moment to admire the blooms. They reached their faces to the sun. When I got home that evening, I noticed that the buds bowed their heads because the sun had moved to the other side of the house.

The movement of these simple flowers reminded me of how I strive to be as a follower of Jesus. In seeking him I search for his light and raise my face to meet his. The warmth of his love and grace refuel my soul. In the darkness of life I bow my head and pray for his guidance. In time he sends his answer. I am amazed over and over again how the most common elements of nature speak volumes about our incredible God. Whether sunshine or shadow, he stays the same. I just need to stay focused on his light.

No comments:

Post a Comment