For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, January 15, 2011

My Network

John 11:1-5

Now a man named Lazarus was sick. He was from Bethany, the village of Mary and her sister Martha (This Mary, whose brother Lazarus now lay sick, was the same one who poured perfume on the Lord and wiped his feet with her hair.) So the sisters sent word to Jesus, “Lord, the one you love is sick.”

When he heard this, Jesus said, “This sickness will not end in death. No, it is for God’s glory so that God’s Son may be glorified through it.” Now Jesus loved Martha and her sister and Lazarus.

God created people to connect with one another. He has blessed me with a great network of family and friends. What I love about many of them is that they keep me accountable to my commitment to Christ. At times I struggle with depression; they surround me and lift me up. When I have cause to rejoice my “people” rejoice with me. In all the journeys of my life, God has provided folks who love him and love me.

Jesus loved Lazarus, Mary and Martha. He surrounded himself with the disciples and other folks who cared. Jesus had a social network. He reached out to people and they reached out to him. As followers of Christ, we need each other. I pray that God opens my eyes to the needs of the people around me and moves me to support and love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment