For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Friday, September 3, 2010

Pure Joy

James 1:2-3

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.

I love to play with my grandchildren. Last night, Eli sat on the floor in front of his Momma and I sat across from them and we rolled a ball that fit his tiny hand-grasp back and forth. Eli loved “catching” the ball. He waved his hands in excitement and aimed at the ball and grabbed it with his little dimpled hand. Then he laughed. From his belly he giggled and it spilled out into the room. He poured out his pure, untarnished joy on me. I’ve heard all of my grandchildren laugh without inhibition, and with a clear purity that God loves.

That is the joy that I desire for myself, that pure joy that only comes from God. Even when I experience trials, anxiety, depression, self-doubt, hurt from others, I can be filled with God’s pure joy. I want it to gurgle up and spill out, so that others may see God in my life. Praise God for his joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment