For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Friday, May 21, 2010

Prayer and Petition

Philippians 4:5-7

Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

When my daughters (as young children) prayed their prayers at night, I loved to hear them rattle off all of their loved ones names as they lifted them to Jesus. They folded their dimpled hands and closed their shining green eyes and believed that God heard every word. As children they trusted God with their hearts and requests.

My girls are grown, and I know they still pray for me and all of their family and friends. I am so thankful that God hears them and that he wants to listen to me. When I cry out in despair and pray through tears, he hears my pleas and opens his heart. As my friends and family come to mind and I lift their needs to him, he rejoices. God sees my prayers as an act of trust. When I lift my deepest desires, he knows I believe that he is God, that I know he is in control, and that he holds the answers. The Bible tells me to pray, not just when I want to, not just if I feel like it, but continually as I lift my needs and requests to God who loves me and wants to hear from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment