For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Friday, January 8, 2010

Start with Good Morning

Ephesians 6:18-19


18And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints. 19Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel…

“Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep” if those words sound familiar, you may remember reciting them as I did, before I went to sleep as a child. I’m not sure where I thought my soul was going in the middle of the night, but I knew that God would look after it. As an adult, I pray different prayers, many prayers. I send words and thoughts to God about my family and friends, my church, my job and so much more. Sometimes when I find it too difficult to pray I know, as I was reminded recently by a dear friend, that the Holy Spirit will be my messenger and take my boggled thoughts to God.

In Ephesians, Paul is seeking prayer for himself and also encouraging the folks to pray all of the time for everything. Could it be that God wants us to talk to him every day, anytime of day? The answer is yes. He wants us to bring everything in our lives to him. He wants us to seek his guidance and blessing. All we have to do is acknowledge that he hears us, that we are sending our words to him. On your knees, at your desk, in your favorite chair, outside, it does not matter where, just talk to him. Start with good morning and end with good night. Praise him! Pour your heart out to him. He loves you and wants to know that you love him back. Pray for me as I pray for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment