For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Friday, May 22, 2009

Courage

Joshua 1:9

…Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.

What an awesome week, I spent two days with my daughter at the YMCA Camp where she lives and works and time with my sister, her son and his wife. When we were planning the trip, Hannah told me she wanted me to do the “Zip Line”. I really didn’t grasp the concept until I walked to the lake with her and she pointed out a cable that hung across the water and was tied to a tree on the other side. Soon I stepped into a harness made of straps and buckled it around me. We hiked to a platform, where I climbed to the top and should have stepped off and let my weight carry me across the water to the other side. But, when I got to the top step, my courage didn’t follow. After some coaching from Hannah’s friend Rachel, I sat down, slid off the platform and swung across the lake, and made a (let’s say “original”) landing. What an awesome experience!!! I’m so glad I did it. Especially since Rachel’s 80 year old grandmother also went across. What an inspiration, and the funny part is, she told me I was brave because I went first.

God wants us to be courageous for him, to speak up, move forward and make a difference. Just as he told Joshua to be strong and courageous, he also wants us to show courage through our faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment