For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, August 27, 2016

I Know He Watches Over Me


Deuteronomy 31:7-8
Then Moses summoned Joshua and said to him in the presence of all Israel, “Be strong and courageous, for you must go with this people into the land that the Lord swore to their ancestors to give them, and you must divide it among them as their inheritance. The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.”

Moses was a hundred and twenty years old. He'd lived an incredible life for God, and he was ready to turn the reigns over to Joshua. God had told Moses he couldn't cross into the promised land with the people of Israel. He had to pass the reigns to someone younger. Moses could have been sad, angry, or frustrated because he wasn't going to finish the journey with his people. He certainly could have felt discouraged. But instead, he encouraged his protégé, Joshua. Moses removed the fear factor and encouraged him to" be strong and courageous." Why could he do that with confidence? Because he knew God had been with him and the Israelites as they wandered in the wilderness for forty years. He knew in his heart that God kept his promises.

As I read the story of Moses and the Israelites I'm overwhelmed by the thought of wandering and waiting. Can you imagine meandering around in a place you didn't want to be for forty years? Waiting on the promise the Lord made and wondering when you could move on? I may not be in the Israelites situation, but I do wander and wonder. Life throws curve balls, dumps troubles on me, and frustrates me. But I know God has my back, he has a plan, and he's always with me. "The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." Praise God for his constant encouragement!

I love the song, His eye is on the Sparrow, a song filled with God's encouragement. I can sing God's praise no matter the circumstances, even when I get discouraged. Because I know if God cares for the birds of the air, he certainly cares for and loves me and you. Isn't this a wonderful promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment