For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Afraid but Filled with Joy

Matthew 28:8
So the women hurried away from the tomb, afraid yet filled with joy, and ran to tell his disciples.

Mary Magdalene and the other Mary had just gone to Jesus' tomb. Instead of finding his body, they ran into an angel whose "appearance was like lightning, and his clothes were white as snow." I can imagine they were pretty upset. The angel had already caused an earthquake, rolled a humongous stone out of the way, and petrified the guards. And now their Lord was gone. But even in fear, the ladies were filled with joy. They had good news. Jesus was alive. He defeated death and lived again.

When I watch the news and see the changes, the violence, the horrible things people do, I'm appalled; and downright afraid. I wonder what life will be like for my grandchildren. At times the fear overwhelms me. But in the midst of the sadness and sorrow over the sin in the world, I still have joy. Because like the ladies who ran to the tomb, I know Jesus is alive. My joy was bolstered again this week as I watched my granddaughter Dilly accept Jesus as her Savior. My daughter, Dilly's mom, baptized her. What a joyous time that fills me with hope for the next generation. I pray she always finds joy in Jesus.

That joy, that floods my heart, is what I hang on to when I'm overwhelmed and afraid. Join me as I rejoice and praise God for Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment