For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Who's Your Ringmaster?

Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him,
    and he will make your paths straight.

Recently, I've heard people say, "That's not my circus and they aren't my monkeys."  Then whose are they? I'm pretty sure the circumstances that surround my life are mine. The question is what am doing with them?

I've been to the Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey Circus a couple of times. The discipline and practice that goes into each act amazes me. The performers who swing from the trapeze bars in sync must have rehearsed for hours on end. They didn't miss a beat. Even the clowns moved in trained step.

Living a spiritual life sometimes feels like a circus act. Imagine walking the highwire, holding onto a balancing pole. You're holding steady until Satan adds the weight of worry to one end. The pole begins to dip and tugs you down. The Holy Spirit nudges and says trust your master. Whew...back in balance. A few steps later, boom...fear is hanging on the other end of the pole. No, I'm going to fall. Then I remember to pray and seek God's guidance. Back in step just a little farther to go. My footing slips. Anger tips the balance. I think on a scripture that fills my heart with peace. He's straightened my path. I'm almost to the platform. With joy, I step onto the safe surface and bow before Jesus, my Ringmaster. If I trust him, lean on him and submit to him, he'll be with me every step. Praise God for his son!

No comments:

Post a Comment