For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, December 12, 2015

The Promise of Angels

Luke 2:9-10
An angel of the Lord appeared to them [the shepherds], and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people."

I snuggled on the couch with my seventeen-month old granddaughter, Ella Cate, on my lap and my grandson, Eli, beside me. On TV the Grinch tortured his poor dog, Max, by plopping reindeer antlers on his head and forcing him to pull the sled. As Max flipped and flopped through the air Ella Cate giggled. The more the poor dog struggled and acted goofy the more she laughed out loud. The tinkle of her laughter filled my heart with joy. And isn't that what Christmas is all about. The joy of the season.

Too often the stress of the holiday and the sadness of life overwhelm. Then I hear the sweet sound of a child's laughter or the tender voice of a grandchild saying he loves me. I see friends hug as they greet one another. I watch a mom love on her kids. Jesus came to earth to bring peace and joy. Though the world is not at peace right now and sometimes joy is not obvious, peace and joy remain in my heart because the Holy Spirit dwells in me. As Christmas draws near, I'll cling to the promise of the angels. Jesus brings good news that will cause great joy. Praise God for his precious gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment