For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, July 25, 2015

Work with all Your Heart

1 Thessalonians 1:3
We remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.

Colossians 3:23
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters...

In Bible college we learned about working in ministry. Many of my classmates went on to be pastors, children's ministers, and youth leaders. But most of us have worked in secular jobs. Teachers, carpenters, office managers, and librarians. I'd been home with my children for years before I worked in public. Raising kids had been my ministry and I enjoyed it. I loved encouraging and shaping their lives and ministering to their friends.


Dad was a cook in the service.
When I entered the workforce, I struggled to figure out how I was to minister when I wasn't in a ministry position. I wasn't prepared. I had days where I thought what's the point. Sure, I earned money and liked what I was doing. But, how was I to show people Jesus. When I read Colossians 3:23 it started to make sense. Whatever I do, I do for God. It's all for him. I needed to be a faithful employee, honest, encouraging and serving. So whoever I worked with or met saw Jesus in me. I have a confession. I still have days when I get down and wonder what I'm doing. Just last week I felt that way. My friend posted Col. 3:23 on Facebook, and  there it was-- the verse I needed. As a believer, no matter what I'm doing each day as long as I'm obedient and faithful to God, my work is valuable to him. He sets my path, as long as I work with all my heart and with faith, I know I'm fulfilling his purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment