For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, September 6, 2014

Suffer...Persevere...Character...Hope

Romans 5:3-6
Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.  And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.

I missed posting a devotion last week. Wish I’d been clear-minded enough to type something coherent. Instead, I rested. That is, except when I suffered through “the exercises”.  Not long after I woke up at the hospital, the nurse and physical therapist had me walking to the bathroom and around the hallway. My new knee protested, but I pushed through. Once home, a therapist visited several times throughout the week to work my knee more. And I had exercises to do in-between. Thank goodness they directed. On my own I’d have wallowed on the couch. I’m pretty sure that only produces more wallowing.

Between the therapist, my daughter, Hannah, and my husband I’ve successfully continued to stay on the exercise track. Suffering and perseverance aren’t much fun, no matter whether physical, emotional, spiritual, or mental. But, I’m happy to say that I have the hope of walking normal again without excruciating pain. God knew I’d need stamina to push through and to continue. He not only gave me the strength, he gave me the people to help. Many folks have pitched in this week, and I know there will be more. He gave me a home that is perfect for recovery and the desire to get better. Praise God for pushing me when I need it and for my hope in him.

1 comment:

  1. So glad your recovery is coming along well! You remain in my prayers, Molly D.

    ReplyDelete