For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, August 16, 2014

Hope

Psalm 62:5-8
Yes, my soul, find rest in God;
    my hope comes from him.
Truly he is my rock and my salvation;
    he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
My salvation and my honor depend on God;
    he is my mighty rock, my refuge.
 Trust in him at all times, you people;
    pour out your hearts to him,
    for God is our refuge.

My daughter called to tell me actor, comedian Robin Williams had died. Apparent suicide the news said. Shock and sadness swept the nation. How could someone who made people laugh take his own life? I don’t know the answer. But I do know that depression and suicidal thoughts are more prevalent than we want to believe. And taking your own life is not the answer. God wants us to live life and turn to him for help and hope. Please don’t assume I just don’t understand, because I do. I’ll be transparent here and tell you that I have an anxiety disorder that goes hand-in-hand with depression. It’s not fun, at times I want to curl up in a ball and hide. But, prayer keeps me going. I’m also blessed with a husband who senses when I go there and helps me climb out of the hole.

In the Psalm, David cried out to God many times. He suffered from depression fed by guilt. His sins caused a great deal of damage and hurt. Yet, God loved him. No matter what life brings, hope remains. Depression comes from many sources; hormonal changes, guilt, physiological imbalances, mental health issues to name a few. But no matter what a person struggles with, God offers hope. He wants to heal and renew. As I follow Jesus, I pray that I am aware of the people around me who are hurting, so I can reach out, pray for them, and love them. Depression is real and so is God’s hope.

I’m sad for Mr. William’s family and continue to pray for them, as well as folks dealing with the dark shadows of depression.

How have you dealt with depression?

No comments:

Post a Comment