For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Amid the Noise

Revelation 3:19-22
Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent. Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.
To the one who is victorious, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I was victorious and sat down with my Father on his throne. Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches.

Our grandson plays basketball on an Upward Bound team in his community. As often as we can, we sit on the side lines and cheer with other fans. As I watched last week, I couldn’t help but notice the noise level in the gym. As Aiden dribbled the ball down the split court shared by two games; fans clapped, cheerleaders shouted, and team members encouraged. Despite the loud din, he heard his coach’s voice and followed his directions. Because his coach’s voice was familiar to him, and he depended on him for instruction and encouragement, he focused on his voice.

Too often my days fill up with voices from temptation, commercials, radio programs, negative people, talking heads, and on it goes. God’s voice is in there too, but do I recognize it? How often does God’s voice go unheard because I choose not to listen? Aiden could ignore his coach and do his own thing, but he knows that this man, who volunteers his time, is there to guide him. He knows his voice because he’s spent time with him at practice. How do I recognize God’s voice amidst chaos and confusion? Or even in silence— how do I know it’s him? I spend time with him in prayer and in his word. His voice always aligns with his truth. Whatever way he communicates, through the Holy Spirit, friends, family, books, sometimes even billboards, God’s voice is the one I want to hear. The one I seek.

How do you know when God speaks to you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment