For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Friday, February 28, 2014

Help Me Find a Scholarly Article

Holy Bible by Vinicius de Carvalho Venâncio
1 Thessalonians 2:11-13
For you know that we dealt with each of you as a father deals with his own children, encouraging, comforting and urging you to live lives worthy of God, who calls you into his kingdom and glory. And we also thank God continually because, when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as a human word, but as it actually is, the word of God, which is indeed at work in you who believe.

It’s the day before a research paper is due and the college student comes to the library, desperation in their eyes. Our librarian, with calm and expertise, guides them through the databases in search of the article they need. The desperate demeanor turns to appreciation and confidence, and the student walks away prepared to spend the day typing. They feel confident because the librarian led them to a scholarly article. In other words, the facts and truth from the writing validates the content of the paper.

The other day my co-worker, Natalie, referred to me as a scholarly article because she can count on what I say. I took this as a compliment, but by no means believe that I have all the answers. But, I know who does. When I want the truth, the validation, the wisdom, and the facts I turn to God’s Word. I believe the Bible speaks the truth and know that I can depend on whatever I read there. What a blessing to know that I can read the words of God and the very words that Jesus spoke. How incredible is that? God’s truth that validates belief. 

No comments:

Post a Comment