For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, December 14, 2013

Christmas Everyday?

 Luke 2:13-16
Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,
 “Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.”
When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, “Let’s go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about.
So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby, who was lying in the manger.

Do you think you could do Christmas all year round? I’ve read several quotes and articles this season proclaiming how wonderful it would be if we had Christmas everyday. I love Christmas, but I know I couldn’t keep the pace for more than a season. The hustle and bustle, the Christmas luncheons, parties, get-togethers…the shopping. No, those would wear me out and make me want to hibernate. But what I can do is hold onto the joy. I love the delight I see in my grandchildren the first time they push the button on Snoopy’s hand, and he dances and sings about the holiday. My granddaughter shares my appreciation for the musical globe of angels I treasure from my childhood.  The stories the minister shares and the eternal message of Jesus fill me for months. And the music, both holy and fun-filled energizes me.

But come January 1, I’m ready to take down the tree, put away my Santa collection, tuck the nativity in tissue paper and wrap up the season. Christmas year round doesn’t tell the whole story. If I only celebrate Jesus birth, I’ll miss out on the best part of history. Jesus’ life, though short, amazes me. The love he shared with everyone, the miracles, the quiet times, and the times he was surrounded by thousands. He loved unconditionally. If I only celebrated Christmas, where does that leave Easter? Jesus died and rose from the dead for me; he forgave and continues to forgive my sins. So, I’ll celebrate Christmas and enjoy it for a time. The rest of the year, I’ll praise him for the difference He’s made in my life.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment