For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Friday, October 11, 2013

Dot-to-Dot

Romans 8:28
And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God. And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. 

Did you ever have one of those coloring books filled with activities? Some pages were for coloring, some had puzzles or word searches. My favorite required me to connect the dots. I’d look at the picture first and try to figure out what object the joined dots revealed. Many times, after I’d drawn a line from number to number, I’d find an animal or toy. If I connected the dots out of order, I might end up with an elephant whose trunk hung out of his ear or a choo-choo train without wheels.


In life the dots often get out of line. They may not connect the way God intended. That’s usually because I’m not waiting on God for answers. I get ahead of myself, lose my patience, if I had any to begin with, or I don’t listen to God’s direction. He’s given me a perfect guide for my life. The Holy Spirit nudges me and whispers to me. I need to pay attention. I can tell when I don’t listen. Whatever I do becomes a scribbled mess. But, when I hear him and follow his lead my dots come together to form a picture of what He wants for me. God works for the good in my life. And through that gives me purpose. 

1 comment: