For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Jesus' eyes

John 8:7-11
When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground. At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?” “No one, sir,” she said. “Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life of sin.”

There’s nothing that says summer to me as much as the game of baseball. A ballgame is a great place to people-watch. All kinds of fans join together to root for their favorite team. As I sat in the ball park with two of my grandkids, I wondered how this all looked to them. Did they see the joy and the sorrow that ebbed and flowed with each pitch? When the crowd rose to cheer, the little guys couldn’t see at all, unless we lifted them up. After the game, fireworks exploded in the sky. My three year old grandson covered his ears and, at times, his eyes while his sister watched in awe.


This made me wonder. Whose eyes do I look through?What do I see? Beauty and hope? Or flaws and frustration? What about the people around me every day, do I see someone who aggravates me or a soul that’s hurting? When Jesus saw the woman who sinned, he looked at her with compassion and forgiveness. Her enemies just saw sin. I want to view people through Jesus’ eyes and wrap them in hope and love with words of forgiveness and salvation.  Praise God for seeing our hearts.

2 comments:

  1. Wise words from a wise woman. Thanks for this reminder to look through the eyes of love.

    ReplyDelete