For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Shout for Joy


Isaiah 35:1-2
The desert and the parched land will be glad;
    the wilderness will rejoice and blossom.
Like the crocus, it will burst into bloom;
    it will rejoice greatly and shout for joy.
The glory of Lebanon will be given to it,
    the splendor of Carmel and Sharon;
they will see the glory of the Lord,
    the splendor of our God.

I embrace it when I see the first daffodil bloom. Or the magnolia tree grace the sky with bursts of purple and pink. When pale green laces across the branches of the lilac bush and the hyacinth shoots blue stars into bloom. The hope of spring shows up, in full costume. The atmosphere reminds me of Christmas without the hustle and bustle. People smiling, chatting, happy. I see excitement on the faces of children free to run outside and play. Who doesn’t appreciate leaving the winter coat in the closet?

I embrace it. The pure joy that walks in with spring. The freedom to throw off the heaviness of winter and wrap my arms around the beauty of our Creator. The writer of Isaiah understood the joy that only comes from a relationship with Jesus. Even though he had not met him, God showed him what it meant to be part of his kingdom. He rejoiced greatly, shouted for joy, and celebrated the splendor of God. Jesus fills my heart with joy when I witness his beauty, not just in flowers but in knowing that he died for me. And that he lives and brings hope. 

No comments:

Post a Comment