For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, March 9, 2013

All in a Day's Work


1 Thessalonians 4:11-12
And to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.
Titus 3:14
Our people must learn to devote themselves to doing what is good, in order to provide for urgent needs and not live unproductive lives.

I grew up in a family that valued work. My dad enjoyed the productivity of his jobs. He worked well into his 80s. Even when he could no longer hold a paid job, he found something to do with his hands. After he retired, I’d often find him sitting in his chair, colored pencil in hand, drawing a whimsical scene. My mom cared for our home and ran a business. An artist in her own right, she painted incredibly detailed scenes on canvas. I’m fortunate to have several of their works in my home. Along with all that, they worked in the church and used their talents for God.

Paul taught, the Thessalonians to work with their hands and lead productive lives. I’ve adopted 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12 as my life verse. Not so much because I like to work, but because God blessed me with talents that I want to use for him. In my ‘daily’ job, I hope to bring glory to God. I hold myself to his standards and pray each day that he’ll show me how to serve. Through the years the Holy Spirit has encouraged me to create art and to write. What a blessing that’s turned out to be. Through quilting, arts and crafts, and my writer’s group, I’ve connected with so many wonderful people who’ve blessed me with their talents. I hope that I have the ability to work with my hands for many years and so that I may encourage others and show them Christ.
What kind of work do you enjoy the most?

*Also posted on FEBC.

No comments:

Post a Comment