For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Happy in the Service of the King


Psalm 148:13-14
Let them praise the name of the
 Lord,
    for his name alone is exalted;
    his splendor is above the earth and the heavens.
And he has raised up for his people a horn,    the praise of all his faithful servants,
    of Israel, the people close to his heart.
Praise the Lord.
 
Growing up, I sang the song Happy in the Service of the King. The congregation gave this particular hymn a little extra umph because the song lyrics echoed being oh so happy to serve Jesus. I never really understood the message until I started working a forty hour week for a public institution. For years, I thought service meant ministry and that was accomplished within the church. Well, that’s true, but serving God means that my life reflects him no matter where I am. When struggles arise at my job or I am experiencing a productive, positive day, I need to work with a servant’s heart.
 
At work and at home, I should resemble Jesus. He didn’t necessarily want to die on the cross. He even prayed and asked God to take the cup away from him. “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.” Matthew 26:39. But, with a humbleness I may never totally understand, Jesus died on the cross for my sins. Now that’s a servant’s heart. He moved himself aside and sacrificed for me. No matter whether my day shines and I ease through, or stress and pressure make my day crazy, I need to remember that I am in the service of the King, and I want to show a servant’s heart.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment