For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Friday, August 17, 2012

Beautiful Again


Psalm 145:9-13
The
 Lord is good to all;
    he has compassion on all he has made.
All your works praise you, Lord;
    your faithful people extol you.
They tell of the glory of your kingdom
    and speak of your might,
so that all people may know of your mighty acts
    and the glorious splendor of your kingdom.
Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom,
    and your dominion endures through all generations.

Recently, Tim and I canoed on the Little Miami River. A pleasant breeze drifted across the water as we worked our way downstream. Several other folks enjoyed the day as they drifted along in canoes and kayaks. Many greeted us with smiles or words of encouragement. The stretches that were less populated allowed us to take our time and enjoy God’s glorious creation. A great blue heron flew overhead and a couple of mallards preened on a log. Dragonflies buzzed the canoe and a squirrel pulverized an acorn on a rock.

When I witness nature, I cannot help but see God’s glory. He not only created interesting animals and foliage, he made people. With care he breathed life into every individual as he molded each one in his image. Not on the outside, but in the heart. No matter what I look like, if I am not compassionate toward others or faithful to God, I don’t look like God. Sometimes sin gets in and makes me ugly, but God’s grace erases the scars and makes me beautiful again. I praise God for his compassion and his kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment