For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, September 19, 2009

Healing

Psalm 34:17-18
17 The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears them;
he delivers them from all their troubles.
18 The LORD is close to the brokenhearted
and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

As a teen, I had the responsibility of dusting my parents antique bottle collection. Carefully I picked up the fragile bottles and wiped off the dusty particles. One day I was cleaning my favorite piece, a clear vessel that had a water pattern on the bottle and a clear-glass fish for the cork. I’m not sure how it happened, but I broke the neck of the bottle. I was upset, but we were able to glue it back together.

In life, we may experience times when we are broken. Those times when we experience problems we cannot resolve on own that cause tears of sadness, self-doubt, hours of anxiety, or even anger. David, the Old Testament King, knew God healed broken hearts and that He remains close to us as we suffer. God heals the brokenhearted if we let him. He loves us and wants us to experience forgiveness and grace.

I still have the “broken” fish bottle sitting on a table in my living room, and I love it just the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment