For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope. —Romans 15:4

Saturday, September 20, 2014

His Purpose Prevails

Proverbs 19:21
Many are the plans in a person’s heart,
    but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails.

A few years ago Rick Warren’s book, The Purpose Driven Life, flew off book shelves. People wanted to know their purpose. Have you ever been introduced to someone and the person introducing you tells them your job? “Hi. This is Penny. She is a technical services manager in an academic library.” Yes that’s my job, but it’s not my purpose. When I think about whom I am and what I do, I can list numerous responsibilities and talents, but they don’t explain my purpose. I can plan activities and goals, but if they don’t match my purpose, they won’t pan out.

Proverbs 19:21 speaks loud and clear to me. If my purpose doesn’t align with God’s purpose for my life, everything I try to do, will not work out for the best. The Lord’s will prevails. Not mine. I am responsible for listening to God’s call and fulfilling the purpose God’s given me. I know without a doubt, God wants me to share the love of Jesus with others. He wants me to be kind and read his word. He calls me to follow, pray, and obey. I may do all these things through the talents he blessed me with, in the job he led me to, or among my family and friends. Then I’m on the right track because I’ve allowed God’s purpose to permeate my life. Thank goodness God has my best interest in mind as he leads me through life.

No comments:

Post a Comment